Sitecore media streaming issue after publishing!

Recently we came across a strange behaviour of Sitecore Media streaming in MediaCache that "Overwritten media files are not getting reflected after publish". Just to have clear idea, this is not a browser caching issue mentioned in Sitecore KB article.

What's the issue?

We created a media item on CM and published it, and was visible on live site. Now we overwritten a new media file to the same media item and published it again. (Either using Detach/Attach from Content Editor or using Overwrite existing media from Page Editor.) Surprisingly, we were still getting older media file! We published again, again and again, but newly published media not getting updated.

And yet, this is a very random issue and occurs very rarely.

How we tried to troubleshoot?

  1. We have multiple servers in cluster with 2 target databases. We found that few servers of both target databases are serving older media file and rest of them serving latest one.
  2. Then we thought there might be some Item Path Cache or Item Cache clearing issue (Which happens on Sitecore some times). So, we cleared both these caches for this media item using Sitecore API. But result was same.
  3. Then we cleared whole Item Cache and Data Cache using Sitecore API. The result was same.
  4. Then we cleared All Sitecore Caches using http:///sitecore/admin/cache.aspx page. The result was same.
  5. Final option we had to clear all media cache physical files (Website\App_Data\MediaCache) so that Sitecore will create new media cache from database and can serve latest one. Even after deleting all files and folder from it, new files got generated but still were older one.
So, no solution at all after applying these many tricks!

How we fixed?

We had no other option but recycling the Application Pool. Finally, the master key worked for us. :)

What we concluded and what's the solution?

The only conclusion we had that Sitecore is storing media files somewhere in Server memory as well. Strange, right?

We raised to Sitecore Support for further investigation. Many thanks to Andrey Krupskiy from support who investigated and confirmed that Sitecore is really storing media files in RAM as well that might have caused this and provided below solution.

There is an internal media cache in RAM. This cache is used when media is not yet saved to the filesystem. Even, if you check code of Sitecore.Resources.Media.MediaCache class, in Reflector, it says the same. Sitecore serves media file RAM before its actual file cache gets generated on disk (might be to serve media faster), which is default behaviour of Sitecore. We can disable this behaviour by changing below configuration in Web.Config.
<setting name="Media.StreamPartiallyCachedFiles" value="false" />

We disabled the Media.StreamPartiallyCachedFiles setting as shown above on CM and CD servers.

Now it has more than a month now, we haven't faced the issue again.


  1. Awesome post - Yogesh!
    Seems exclusive setting, good to know.

  2. I've upgrade sitecore solution from 6.6 to sitecore7.5, in previous solution this was FALSE, and in new solution it is TRUE out of-the-box, but i'm not getting this issue in new solution when it is TRUE, could you please let me know which version of sitecore make this situation, Thanks

    1. Amit, yes by default the setting is "True" but it's not necessary that you will get such issue every time. It's very random issue and can be reproduced once in hundreds of such occurrences mentioned in this post.